Sunday, October 9, 2011

This is my generation, this is my generation baby

Hi Peeps :)

so I know that I'm a terrible person for not posting in almost 6 months :O

BUT, I have something pretty interesting I wanted to talk about. So one day last week I opened the internet, which automatically opens CNN, and I saw an interesting headline. There was a protest on Wall Street. Call me dense, since it's been going on for several weeks now, but nevertheless, I was intrigued. You don't really hear about large-scale protests anymore, they're just not that common. Granted there was there was the anarchist "protest" outside the Republic National Convention in St Paul in 2008, but showing up in masks doesn't really send the message of peace even if they were non-violent. And then there was the teacher's strike in Wisconsin earlier this year, but that also was not very big.

No, this is the biggest protest in some time. One of the cool things that I learned in the article last week, was that the majority (at least at that time, I'm not sure about now) of protesters were people in their twenties who were fed up with the state of the nation. Finally someone had the idea to actually do something rather than grumble. Now I know that I'm being quite passive in this sense since I'd never have the guts to do something like this, but still, I'm proud that something's happening.

One thing that I have to point out is that even if there are older people now joining the protest, it was essentially born from the college students and recent graduates. I guess it's not that surprising since it's well-known that college students are more liberal than many people who are older. I'm seriously proud of these leaders of my generation who took matters into their own hands, and did (and are doing) so without violence.

Another cool thing is that the protests aren't just in New York anymore. All over the country young people have started their own protests.Even in Minneapolis a protest has started and people are standing up for change. :)

I'm excited lol
Peace and Love everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment